The South London Sling Library is currently open to the public for drop-in baby carrier information and advice at the following times:
Alternate Tuesdays 10:00am – 2:00pm
For the next open date/s, please see the notice at the top of the column to the right.
We will also be demonstrating some of our available carriers, and it will be possible to loan and return baby carriers at these times. Please be aware that Emily is running the open days voluntarily in her own time and will have at least one of her children with her. These sessions can get quite busy; if you’re intending to borrow a carrier, we would be very grateful if you could print off a copy of our loan form to bring with you with your personal details completed. If possible, please also email us in advance so that we know who to expect. This will help us to make the best use of everyone’s time at the drop-in session.
How to get to the Library
The South London Sling Library is at 34 York Hill, London, SE27 0AD, opposite the playpark.
Walking/Cycling/Public Transport: We’re within walking distance of West Norwood (5 mins), Tulse Hill (5 mins) and West Dulwich (10 mins) Railway Stations, and there are many buses that regularly go down West Norwood High Street. The closest Tube Station is Brixton, which is about 10-15 minutes bus ride away. There is space to park bikes in the garden.
Driving: If you’re driving to us, we’re very close to the South Circular and free parking is available at the top of York Hill, or around the corner on Knolly’s road. Please don’t park on our drive (as buggies won’t be able to get in), or on the yellow lines (we have very vigilant parking wardens in the area – you will get a ticket).
When attending a Library drop-in session, please be aware of the following:
- During library opening hours we can show, describe and demonstrate the different carriers that we have available. You’ll be able to look at and feel the carriers and see the differences between them. If we’re not too busy, we’ll also be able to support you in trying out a carrier with a teddy or weighted doll to help you to practice using it and to find out whether it will suit you or not. If you’d like to borrow a carrier, then we’ll complete a loan form and take your fee and deposit before giving you the carrier and instructions to take away with you. Please be aware that we will not be able to help you to try out wearing your child in one of our carriers during library open hours. This is because we will not be able to give you the focussed, individual attention required to do this safely. If you would like this kind of support, then please arrange to see us for an individual session, or ask us for details of a local babywearing consultant.
- Emily is running the Library for free in her own time and will have at least one of her children with her. At times she may therefore ask you to wait while she attends to their needs. Please be understanding and patient!
- When you arrive/leave, we’ll ask you to sign yourself and any children or person accompanying you in/out so that we know who is present at any particular time. In case of a fire, please leave the house using the front door, and assemble across the road outside the playpark.
- Demonstrations of carriers are carried out on the first floor, accessed by a flight of wooden stairs. There is also a step up to the front door. We’ll help you to get buggies into the house, and are more than happy to come down and do demonstrations on the ground floor if you’re unable to get up the stairs.
- The room where demonstrations take place has baby gates at the entrances; for the safety of any children present please ensure that these, and the door to the adjacent room are kept closed at all times. Please do not tamper with or move any other baby-proofing that is in place.
- While at the library, all of your possessions and any children that you have brought with you remain your full responsibility at all times. It is your responsibility that they are safe and well supervised; we cannot take responsibility for any theft, damage or harm that may come to your belongings or children while you are here.
- There is plenty of space to park buggies on the ground floor to the left as you enter the house. The toilet is on the ground floor to the right of the back door.
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, squash, biscuits) will be available in the kitchen at a small charge. Please leave payment for these in the honesty box provided. You’re of course welcome to freely help yourself to tap water.
- A small selection of baby-safe toys will be available to play with (e.g. wooden toys, board books and duplo). Please ensure your children are supervised when playing with the toys, and that they do not accidentally take anything home with them!
- The Library is cat-friendly. All of our carriers are kept in a closed room into which the cat is not allowed, but we cannot guarantee that there will be no hairs on them. The cat will be shut out of the house during opening hours.